For real. today we read some Carpe Diem poems in my Intro to Poetry class, and let me tell you, those are some great stuff hahah. like if you want some entertainment you should read some of those poems lol
i'll give you some good ones to read.
basically they all say, forget about your morals and virtues. have sex and get married!
hah
i was like umm excuse me?
I'm waiting til i'm married.
idk it was fun though to read those poems in class.
here's a list of some of the ones we read:
In A Prominent Bar in Secacus One Day
By X.J. Kennedy
okay we read like three others but i don't feel like getting my poetry book out lol so i'll pry edit this section like tomorrow when i do my poetry homework lol
[EDIT:] "To the Virgins, To Make Much Of Time" by Robert Herrick
and
Horace to Leuconoe
it's originally in Latin so you need to read the translation lol, the ones that are ridiculous are the other two though lol
and then here's my favorite poem of all time, and when it comes time to have to read a poem in Poetry class this is the one i'm reading
Christina Rossetti
Twice
I took my heart in my hand
(O my love, O my love),
I said: Let me fall or stand,
Let me live or die,
But this once hear me speak
(O my love, O my love)—
Yet a woman's words are weak;
You should speak, not I.
You took my heart in your hand
With a friendly smile,
With a critical eye you scann'd,
Then set it down,
And said, 'It is still unripe,
Better wait awhile;
Wait while the skylarks pipe,
Till the corn grows brown.'
As you set it down it broke—
Broke, but I did not wince;
I smiled at the speech you spoke,
At your judgement I heard:
But I have not often smiled
Since then, nor question'd since,
Nor cared for cornflowers wild,
Nor sung with the singing bird.
I take my heart in my hand,
O my God, O my God,
My broken heart in my hand:
Thou hast seen, judge Thou.
My hope was written on sand,
O my God, O my God:
Now let thy judgement stand—
Yea, judge me now.
This contemn'd of a man,
This marr'd one heedless day,
This heart take thou to scan
Both within and without:
Refine with fire its gold,
Purge Thou its dross away—
Yea, hold it in Thy hold,
Whence none can pluck it out.
I take my heart in my hand—
I shall not die, but live—
Before Thy face I stand;
I, for Thou callest such:
All that I have I bring,
All that I am I give,
Smile Thou and I shall sing,
But shall not question much.
yup favorite poem of all time. it's just so great. idk i first read it in middle school and for some reason it really spoke to me then, and since then i kind of forgot about it until i was like oh i need a poem for poetry class and this one popped into my head. :)
i'm kind of excited to read it in class.
anyways supposed to get snow tonight anywhere from 2 to 8 inches depending on which area you live around here. i'm hoping my school gets like 8 and they cancel all classes haha. that would be amazing.
well gotta go to my bio homework just in case the snow doesn't come
:/
sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
love love love
2 comments:
dudeeee. i remember when we read some in 12th grade. then we had to write out own haha
umm, our* lol
Post a Comment